Presidential election results
(a) In case of Presidential Election, the Returning Officer after compiling partial result for the constituency, shall display and forward the same to the Commission.
(b) The Commission shall verify the result and do the following;
(i) declare the result of Presidential Election for that particular constituency ;
(ii) add together the Presidential Election result from constituencies;
(iii) declare to have been elected Presidential candidate with majority votes;
(iv) send a notification of the Election to the successful Candidate; and
(v) cause the ascertained results together with the number of votes recorded for each Candidate to be published in the Official Gazette. [Section 81 and 35E of the Elections Act (No. 1 of 1985)].
Parliamentary election results
Immediately after the result of a contested election has been ascertained, the Returning Officer must:
- Declare the candidate with the majority of votes to have been elected;
- Affix in some conspicuous place a copy of the results of Parliamentary election of the constituency.
- Send to the Commission a notification of election of a successful candidate.
- compile a report and submit it to the Headquarters of
the Electoral Commission indicating complaints raised at
each stage of the election and the measures or decision
taken in respect of each complaint and the views of the
candidates in relation to the election; and
- the Commission must as soon as possible cause the election results together with the number of votes recorded for each Candidate in each constituency to be published in the Official Gazette. [(Section 81 of the Elections Act, No. 1 of 1985)].
Local Government election results
Where the results for Local Government Elections have been ascertained the Returning Officer:
- Forthwith declare to be elected the candidate(s) for whom the majority of votes have been cast.
- Cause a full report of the result to be displayed at the office of the Ward Executive Officer and at the Headquarters of the Council concerned; and
- Report the result of the election to the Electoral Authority, which shall cause the result together with the number of votes, recorded for each candidate in each Ward to be published in the Official Gazette.